The Joy of Knowing How To Learn series:
- The first question about learning is: “How,” not “What.”
- If students are taught how to learn language skills, they can easily take in much more information.
- Modern brain research supports spelling which advances reading and other language skills.
- Correctly writing out words activates four different sensory receivers.
- This learning method in the workbook series positively affects reading, writing, speaking, and listening on a neurolinguistic level.
What They Say
I have purchased all three books in this series and find that the structured step-by-step method of learning used in this workbook can also be applied to other academic subjects. The Pre-Test and Post-Test Answer Keys are especially helpful. Dr. Joyce McPeake Robinson has shown us once again that there can be joy in knowing how to learn!
As a former elementary school teacher, I remain very interested in early childhood education. It seems that our children today are far behind in the “basics” from where they were 50 years ago when I taught school. At first glance while this book seems easy, large groups of children will benefit from the discipline of Dr. Robinson’s approach and ultimately translate this word immersion process to subjects other than reading and vocabulary. Spacing in this book design is generous and right for children. I might suggest that students who run through assigned pages be rewarded with a difficult word like “gigantic” or “hallucination.” Owning a large and colorful book like this would make a kid proud.
I’m so glad to see Series 2 of The Joy of Knowing How to Learn Workbook! The workbook guides students to practice spelling through the ten-step learning process for 100 words commonly used in Grades 4-6. Steps are natural and effective and include learning basic word parts, understanding word meaning, forming mental word image, using each word in multiple contexts and in original sentences. The process ensures that the learners feel comfortable and confident, ready to continue mastering spelling skills! Highly recommended!